In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Westport Island History Committee

Celebrates its people and heritage

Herbert Cromwell's Grocery Store, Westport Island, 1952

Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
MMN Item 99475 Item Details
Herbert Cromwell's Grocery Store, Westport Island, 1952
MMN Item 99475 Zoom

Description

Herbert Cromwell sitting on the gas island of his grocery store on the Main Road. The main part of the grocery store (with the awning) served for many years as Westport's Post Office. In 1870, the building was owned by William McKinney who opened a store in it at the corner of Main and Post Office roads. When McKinney became the Postmaster in 1889, it also became the post office until the Island's postal service was discontinued in 1907. The building was bought by Herbert Cromwell in 1949 and moved in 1950 from the corner of Post Office Road to the pictured location.

The small red building on the right of the grocery store became "Ginny's Snack Bar," operated by Herb Cromwell's daughter, Virginia. In 1959, the snack bar was moved north on the Main Road to the waterfront overlooking Montsweag Bay where it became part of a snack bar operated by Edwin and Jennie Cromwell.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.