In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Westport Island History Committee

Celebrates its people and heritage

Westport Island Historical Timeline

Timeline of Jeremysquam and Westport Island History
From "Westport Island, Maine once Jeremysquam" by John and Louise Swanton


1649

Earliest recorded purchase from Indians. John Richards from Robinhood -- no later claim.

1664
Wiscasset, including Jeremysquam Island, purchased from Indians by George David, confirmed by Robinhood.

1668
Due to Indian Wars, all settlements were abandoned.

1734
Wiscasset Proprietors purchased Davie's claims for his heirs. After lengthy litigation with Kennebec Proprietors, they laid claim to the island and sold as a group of individual lots to the permanent settlers.

1745
Earliest permanent settlers claimed to be John Doors and Joseph Whitam.

1751
Map in Maine Historical Society shows four settlements.

1760
County of Lincoln formed.

1774
Jeremysquam joins with Freetown to be Edgecomb.

1784
Vote to have a church on the island (Congregational).

1795
Church built, but not completed: Free Will Baptist Meeeting House.

1812-1814
Fort McDonough earth works erected on Squaw Heights.

1820
State of Maine separated from Massachusetts.

1828
Town of Westport separated from Edgecomb with 66 houses and 90 polls.

1829
Post office established -- until 1907 mail carried by boat and wagon.

1838
Bridge built onto West Shore Road.

1847
North Chapel dedicated.

1864
Methodists established their own church -- now the Westport Community Church.

1874
North Chapel dedicated.

1885
Old church building taken over as Town Hall.

1899
Ferry established under the county.

1905
R.F.D. began from Wiscasset with Charles Cromwell as mail carrier.

1928
Town celebrated its 100th birthday.

1950
Bridge (causeway) built across the Back River at Cowseagan Narrows.

1955
Bridge became toll free.

1972
New high level bridge opened.

1978
Sesquicentennial of Westport.