In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Westport Island History Committee

Celebrates its people and heritage

House of "Squire" Samuel Tarbox, Westport, ca. 1845

Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
MMN Item 79491 Item Details
House of
MMN Item 79491 Zoom


House and barns of "The Squire" Samuel Tarbox, now the Squire Tarbox Inn in Westport Island Maine. Samuel Tarbox is pictured standing in the road wearing the tall hat.

The original house, pictured as the ell, was built about 1763 and was purchased by Tarbox in 1806 from Stephen Parsons. The first expansion (the addition behind the front, main house) came soon after and served as the kitchen until 1956. About 1825, Tarbox built the main building.

Samuel Tarbox was born February 10, 1780 and died February 3, 1861 and was a wealthy land trader, fish merchant, town official and gentleman farmer on Westport Island.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.